8 bedrooms | 2½ baths | 4,466 sq.ft.
Offered at $1,750,000
This iconic home is beautifully sited on a 1/3 of an acre overlooking Commencement Bay. The gracious entry hall is flanked by a formal living room with gas fireplace and original tile surround and a large formal dining room with its own original fireplace. A spacious butler’s pantry off the dining room leads to an updated eat-in kitchen with direct access to a large view deck. A back hallway off the entry leads to the porte-cochere, a half bath and a library with a fireplace, boxed beam ceilings and original built-in bookshelves.
Five bedrooms and two bathrooms are located on the second floor, including a primary suite. Two of the bedrooms have their own fireplaces, and one bedroom has a view balcony. The former servant quarters on the third floor includes three bedrooms and storage. Laundry and additional storage are located on the lower level. The current owners of this historic home embarked on an extensive restoration in 2019.
Significant improvements include interior and exterior paint, new and refinished hardwood floors, window restoration, extensive chimney work, electrical upgrades and new period light fixtures and coal baskets.
Encompassing three city lots, this beautiful property is sited on a corner lot in the heart of the historic Stadium-Seminary district and includes fully fenced rear and side yards, mature plantings, a sprinkler system, two large view decks, a two-car garage and a gated circular driveway for additional off-street parking.
The Franke Tobey Jones House is an impressive Colonial Revival designed by architects Pickles and Sutton for local financier Frederick Watson and his wife Elizabeth in 1893. The Watsons sold the house to Charles and Franke Tobey Jones in 1907.
Charles Jones was born in Vermont in 1845 and served as a colonel for the Union Army during the Civil War. He met and married Frances (Franke) Tobey in Jay, New York in 1872. In 1877, Jones and his brother-in-law Henry Hewitt traveled to the Pacific Northwest, purchased 80,000 acres of timber land and formed the St. Paul and Tacoma Lumber Company. They built a sawmill on the tide flats in 1889, and Jones supervised the lumber, milling and mining operations for the company. Immediately after purchasing this house in 1907, the Joneses acquired two adjacent city lots and hired renowned architect Ambrose Russell to expand the library, modify the front entrance and two-story porte-cochere and add a garage to the enlarged property.
Though Charles Jones was undeniably successful as a businessman and early civic leader in Tacoma, it was the couple’s philanthropic work that was most notable. The Joneses were key supporters of the University of Puget Sound, donating $200,000 for its initial construction. The school's Jones Hall was named in honor of Charles.
Franke’s most notable legacy was her work on behalf of the elderly. In the early 1900s, senility could lead to incarceration, neglect and/or a lonely death for those without means. With other members of the P.E.O. C Chapter, including Virginia Mason, Franke formed an organization called The Old People’s Home of Tacoma. They leased the Danaher house at 424 North D Street - just across from Franke and Charles' house - and opened a small nursing home in 1923 with capacity for 14 elderly residents. In July of that same year, Franke donated a building site near Point Defiance Park and $150,000 in seed money to develop a permanent retirement home for the elderly. The cornerstone for the Franke Tobey Jones Home for the Elderly was laid on July 16, 1924.
The Frank Tobey Jones House is listed on the local and national registers of historic places, affording a significant property tax abatement. The house is also a contributing structure in Tacoma's Stadium-Seminary District.
House is 4,466 SF
Lot is 13,000 SF
Two and a half baths
High efficiency heat
Two car garage
Tacoma’s historic Stadium District is anchored by Stadium High School, an iconic Hewitt and Hewitt designed French Renaissance structure that was originally slated to be a hotel. Construction of the hotel began in 1891 but was halted by an economic downturn before completion in 1893. When a fire burned much of the existing structure in 1898, the city of Tacoma decided to re-purpose the building. Stadium High School opened in 1906. The district that bears its name is located in close proximity to downtown Tacoma, Wright Park, the medical center and the waterfront.
As one of Tacoma’s oldest “suburbs”, the Stadium District features some of the city’s grandest residential architecture. The neighborhood is also home to the Annie Wright Schools, the Tacoma Lawn and Tennis Club and a wide variety of shops and restaurants including Shake, Shake, Shake, Indo and Art House Cafe. Annual neighborhood events include the Dickens Festival and the Art & Wine Walk.
423 N. D Street is offered at $1,750,000. Please contact us directly to schedule a showing today.
South Sound Property Group is a
top-producing Real Estate Team with
Windermere Chambers Bay, specializing
in residential real estate in Tacoma,
Gig Harbor, University Place and Lakewood.
Jeff Williams: (253) 303-1135
Mark Pinto: (253) 318-0923